Monday, March 26, 2012

MSDE 2000 Set-up: Invalid instance name

Thanks in advance.

I installed SQL 2000 Client Portion in my local computer: No server functionality. I selected my computer name as an instance name. Installation went OK.

Now, I am trying to install MSDE in my computer. Error comes in early part of installation: It says, "The instance name specified is not valid"

Please, any advise and suggestion.

Try deinstalling the SQL Client (why did that ask for an instance name when you didn't install the server - are you sure about deselecting the server?)

Install MSDE after the SQL Client was deinstalled. MSDE 2000 comes with a readme which explains the command line options for the setup. Read it carefully.

--
SvenC

|||

Thanks.

By the way, I have SQL 2005 Server in my computer.

Maybe, this is why.

|||

Yes, presumably MSDE tries to use the same instance name already in use by SQL 2005. Why would you want both versions on one machine?

Well, you can do it, but check the MSDE readme how to configure a different instance name. In the connection string you will use servername\instancename to access the named instance.

--
SvenC

No comments:

Post a Comment