Friday, March 30, 2012

MSDE and Installshield

I need a better installation procedure for my software, so I wanted to merge
the MSDE install into the main one. At the moment the Setup has been built
by a third part developer, who use Installshiled.
Problem is, he doesn't know which version of Installshield he needs. Someone
can give me a hint?
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:18:40 +0200, Drizzt <drizzt.du@.libero.it> wrote:

> I need a better installation procedure for my software, so I wanted to
> merge
> the MSDE install into the main one. At the moment the Setup has been
> built
> by a third part developer, who use Installshiled.
> Problem is, he doesn't know which version of Installshield he needs.
> Someone can give me a hint?
From what I read, InstallShield 7 should be alright; maybe even 6.
Not related to MSDE, I am struggling with it, though: I am unable to
create simple Upgrade packages that replace a couple of files in an
installation. something that InnoSetup and InstallShield 5 do perfectly
well.
Stefan
|||When I last spoke to them, the installshield guys didn't have the bootstrapper out for MSDE. They still had the merge modules but be warned microsoft does not want you to continue that route. I even spoke with WISE Solutions and they also mentioned that
they were working on replacing the merge module for MSDE.. so something to keep in mind.
Thanks
dev
"Stefan M. Huber" wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:18:40 +0200, Drizzt <drizzt.du@.libero.it> wrote:
>
> From what I read, InstallShield 7 should be alright; maybe even 6.
> Not related to MSDE, I am struggling with it, though: I am unable to
> create simple Upgrade packages that replace a couple of files in an
> installation. something that InnoSetup and InstallShield 5 do perfectly
> well.
> Stefan
>
|||"dev_kh" <devkh@.discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:3014BFB6-1C09-49FB-BA4E-C21475CDD808@.microsoft.com...
> When I last spoke to them, the installshield guys didn't
> have the bootstrapper out for MSDE. They still had the merge
> modules but be warned microsoft does not want you to continue
> that route. I even spoke with WISE Solutions and they also mentioned
> that they were working on replacing the merge module for MSDE.. so
something to keep in mind.
Sorry, I got lost.
Our product must be a self-easy-installing one. I have no experience about
Installations packages, and the (external)guy who must build it needs
directions from me, as he have never installed MSDE before.
We need a tight integration between the two -installshield and MSDE- 'cause
in case of errors we need the installation to halt and report the error,
while now it simply goes on...
So, is there a simply solution? What are the methods commonly used for this?
Sorry to bother, but I really have no clues...
|||| So, is there a simply solution? What are the methods commonly used for this?
I plan on using InnoSetup. I have been using it for over a year - love it. I
have not used it for MSDE, but I plan to.
<quote>
Yes, we now know how to. But it has taken a *LOT* of effort to
integrate it into InnoSetup in such a way that it:
* Checks the existence of an earlier MSDE installation
* If found check if it was done from our software
* If not, install a new instance using Microsoft setup
* Make sure to use the correct MSI file during install
* Make sure to set all install parameters correct
* Start the MSDE after install
* Connect to MSDE and install database
* Make sure it works on all NT platforms (big problems on NT4)
* etc etc etc
We have probably spent one man-moth on this task alone... Bo
</quote>
http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~Inn...ScriptMSDE~VFP
Carl K
|||So, do you have a workable solution for installing an app and MSDE or not?
TIA,
Paul
"Carl Karsten" <carl@.personnelware.com> wrote in message
news:%23dnKozoYEHA.3988@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> | So, is there a simply solution? What are the methods commonly used for
this?
> I plan on using InnoSetup. I have been using it for over a year - love
it. I
> have not used it for MSDE, but I plan to.
> <quote>
> Yes, we now know how to. But it has taken a *LOT* of effort to
> integrate it into InnoSetup in such a way that it:
> * Checks the existence of an earlier MSDE installation
> * If found check if it was done from our software
> * If not, install a new instance using Microsoft setup
> * Make sure to use the correct MSI file during install
> * Make sure to set all install parameters correct
> * Start the MSDE after install
> * Connect to MSDE and install database
> * Make sure it works on all NT platforms (big problems on NT4)
> * etc etc etc
> We have probably spent one man-moth on this task alone... Bo
> </quote>
> http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~Inn...ScriptMSDE~VFP
> Carl K
>
|||Personally, no.
If the Inno guys say it will fly, I have no reason to doubt them. They aren't
trying to sell me something - the beauty of open source software.
Carl K
"Paul McTeigue" <paul_mcteigue@.msn.com> wrote in message
news:%23vGPGesYEHA.2816@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| So, do you have a workable solution for installing an app and MSDE or not?
|
| TIA,
| Paul
|
| "Carl Karsten" <carl@.personnelware.com> wrote in message
| news:%23dnKozoYEHA.3988@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| >
| > | So, is there a simply solution? What are the methods commonly used for
| this?
| >
| > I plan on using InnoSetup. I have been using it for over a year - love
| it. I
| > have not used it for MSDE, but I plan to.
| >
| > <quote>
| > Yes, we now know how to. But it has taken a *LOT* of effort to
| > integrate it into InnoSetup in such a way that it:
| > * Checks the existence of an earlier MSDE installation
| > * If found check if it was done from our software
| > * If not, install a new instance using Microsoft setup
| > * Make sure to use the correct MSI file during install
| > * Make sure to set all install parameters correct
| > * Start the MSDE after install
| > * Connect to MSDE and install database
| > * Make sure it works on all NT platforms (big problems on NT4)
| > * etc etc etc
| >
| > We have probably spent one man-moth on this task alone... Bo
| > </quote>
| >
| > http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~Inn...ScriptMSDE~VFP
| >
| > Carl K
| >
|
|
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment