Wednesday, March 28, 2012

MSDE 2000 SP4 Merge Modules

I have a MSDE 2000 InstallShield install package that I've created using the
merge modules. I downloaded the SP4 of the desktop engine from the microsoft
site. When downloaded and extracted, there is a folder on my machine
\MSDE\MSM which has all of the merge modules. I've noticed that the SP4
release has 3 new mm's: msxmlsql32.msm, msxmlsqlr32.msm, and qfepatch.msm.
In the InstallShield DevStudio 9.01 IDE, I check the 3 new mm's. When I go
and build I receive the following error: "Error retrieving dependency
MSXMLSQL1033.996A3FBA_B9BC_4189_9DB1_2B3C86B526BC: 1033 of C:\Program
Files\InstallShield\DevStudio 9\Modules\i386\MSXMLSQL32.MSM". Anyone know
why I'm getting this error?
Thanks.
Joanne
hi Joanne
jbayog wrote:
> I have a MSDE 2000 InstallShield install package that I've created
> using the merge modules. I downloaded the SP4 of the desktop engine
> from the microsoft site. When downloaded and extracted, there is a
> folder on my machine \MSDE\MSM which has all of the merge modules.
> I've noticed that the SP4 release has 3 new mm's: msxmlsql32.msm,
> msxmlsqlr32.msm, and qfepatch.msm. In the InstallShield DevStudio
> 9.01 IDE, I check the 3 new mm's. When I go and build I receive the
> following error: "Error retrieving dependency
> MSXMLSQL1033.996A3FBA_B9BC_4189_9DB1_2B3C86B526BC: 1033 of C:\Program
> Files\InstallShield\DevStudio 9\Modules\i386\MSXMLSQL32.MSM". Anyone
> know why I'm getting this error?
no idea, never used MSDE merge modules, always installed using the setup.exe
boostrap installer.... but have you tried modifying the order of
installation?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...stsql_8yeq.asp
has not been updated (as BOL in general) at sp4 level, so no additional info
about those new merge modules seems available..
BTW, the MSDE readme file, at point 4.2 MSDE 2000 SP4 File location
specifies:
"Note Merge modules are not supported for new installations. They are
provided in SP4 for servicing instances of MSDE 2000 that were previously
installed using merge modules."
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.14.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.59.0
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply
|||I don't know much about MSDE and am just doing some research on it as of
this week.
However, I cam across this link yesterday which might be useful:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/2000/sp4.asp
Here is an extract from the site:
"Users who have an existing instance of MSDE 2000 must know how their
instance of MSDE 2000 was installed to know how to update it. In particular,
you must know the original package name for your instance of MSDE 2000. To
determine the original package name, see the article How To Identify Which
MSI File Was Used for an Existing MSDE Installation in the Microsoft
Knowledge Base."
"jbayog" <jbayog@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8D058312-1747-4A51-A100-FE79DC32C086@.microsoft.com...
>I have a MSDE 2000 InstallShield install package that I've created using
>the
> merge modules. I downloaded the SP4 of the desktop engine from the
> microsoft
> site. When downloaded and extracted, there is a folder on my machine
> \MSDE\MSM which has all of the merge modules. I've noticed that the SP4
> release has 3 new mm's: msxmlsql32.msm, msxmlsqlr32.msm, and
> qfepatch.msm.
> In the InstallShield DevStudio 9.01 IDE, I check the 3 new mm's. When I
> go
> and build I receive the following error: "Error retrieving dependency
> MSXMLSQL1033.996A3FBA_B9BC_4189_9DB1_2B3C86B526BC: 1033 of C:\Program
> Files\InstallShield\DevStudio 9\Modules\i386\MSXMLSQL32.MSM". Anyone know
> why I'm getting this error?
> Thanks.
> Joanne
|||Thanks so much for your help. This an existing MSDE 2000 InstallShield
install package and we have a client who wants to upgrade to SP4 so that is
why I'm trying to build an upgrade for them. I'd like to get rid of using
the MSDE 2000 merge modules per Microsoft's comment. I got it to build by
editing the msxmlsql32.msm and the msxmlsqlr32.msm using the Orca tool. I
think there is a problem with the rows in the ModuleDependency table. I
guess I have the option of building it without these two mm's as our database
application doesn't use xml. I'm a little apprehensive of doing this only
because there is no documentation on these new mm's. I might post to
InstallShield also. Again thanks.
Joanne
Joanne
"Andrea Montanari" wrote:

> hi Joanne
> jbayog wrote:
> no idea, never used MSDE merge modules, always installed using the setup.exe
> boostrap installer.... but have you tried modifying the order of
> installation?
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...stsql_8yeq.asp
> has not been updated (as BOL in general) at sp4 level, so no additional info
> about those new merge modules seems available..
> BTW, the MSDE readme file, at point 4.2 MSDE 2000 SP4 File location
> specifies:
> "Note Merge modules are not supported for new installations. They are
> provided in SP4 for servicing instances of MSDE 2000 that were previously
> installed using merge modules."
> --
> Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
> http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
> DbaMgr2k ver 0.14.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.59.0
> (my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
> interface)
> -- remove DMO to reply
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment