Wednesday, March 28, 2012

MSDE 2005 encryption

I have been given my first database project that requires data encryption.
[We'll be storing SSN's, CCN's, etc.] I have SQL Server 2000 and MSDE 2
005
as my choice of databases. The project is small enough that MSDE would work
.
My question is does MSDE 2005 have the encryption capabilities of SQL Server
2005 and are those capabilities sufficient to meet Federal regulations for
data security?
Since the project is a small one, is MSDE 2005 a better choice than SQL
Server 2000 with a third party encryption tool, since the SQL Server 2000
that I'd use is hosted by my Hosting company on a shared SQL Server?
Thank you
--
Johnhi,
jhcope wrote:
> I have been given my first database project that requires data
> encryption. [We'll be storing SSN's, CCN's, etc.] I have SQL Server
> 2000 and MSDE 2005 as my choice of databases. The project is small
> enough that MSDE would work. My question is does MSDE 2005 have the
> encryption capabilities of SQL Server 2005 and are those capabilities
> sufficient to meet Federal regulations for data security?
SQLExpress supports the full set of encryption as the full SQL Server 2005
editions..

> Since the project is a small one, is MSDE 2005 a better choice than
> SQL Server 2000 with a third party encryption tool, since the SQL
> Server 2000 that I'd use is hosted by my Hosting company on a shared
> SQL Server?
...
unfortunately I'm not able to solve this dilemma...
your policies and/or standards should be evaluated... SQLExpress can be an
optimal solution, but lacks some features that could be required, such as
SQL Server Agent, Database Mail, DTS/SISS features and the like... or the
new Service Broker related features as well... you have to balance all your
requirements and the supported features...
--
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.bizhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.19.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.63.0 and further SQL Tools
-- remove DMO to reply|||SQL Server Express does include Service Broker, but there are some licensing
limitations to its use.
Dan

> hi,
> jhcope wrote:
> SQLExpress supports the full set of encryption as the full SQL Server
> 2005 editions..
>
> ...
> unfortunately I'm not able to solve this dilemma...
> your policies and/or standards should be evaluated... SQLExpress can
> be an
> optimal solution, but lacks some features that could be required, such
> as
> SQL Server Agent, Database Mail, DTS/SISS features and the like... or
> the
> new Service Broker related features as well... you have to balance all
> your
> requirements and the supported features...|||hi Dan,
Dan Sullivan wrote:
> SQL Server Express does include Service Broker, but there are some
> licensing limitations to its use.
yes, the limitations make the Service Broker quite "useless" for inter-SQLX
scenarios as a full SQL Server licensed edition is normally required...
--
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.bizhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.19.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.63.0 and further SQL Tools
-- remove DMO to reply

No comments:

Post a Comment