Friday, March 30, 2012

MSDE along side WMSDE?

I've got a situation where WSUS is already installed on a server and I'm
looking
at moving my anti-virus system on to the same server, however my AV uses
MSDE. The server is running 2003 and therefore WSUS is running in WMSDE.
I take it I can't use WMSDE for my AV solution so I'd like to know, is it
viable to simply install MSDE 2000 along side WMSDE, or will I have to move
WSUS out of WMSDE and into MSDE 2000?
I assume I'll have some conflicts at minimum with the ports clashing if the
two live together, and there are likely to be other major problems.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
hi,
AC wrote:
> I've got a situation where WSUS is already installed on a server and
> I'm looking
> at moving my anti-virus system on to the same server, however my AV
> uses MSDE. The server is running 2003 and therefore WSUS is running
> in WMSDE.
> I take it I can't use WMSDE for my AV solution so I'd like to know,
> is it viable to simply install MSDE 2000 along side WMSDE, or will I
> have to move WSUS out of WMSDE and into MSDE 2000?
> I assume I'll have some conflicts at minimum with the ports clashing
> if the two live together, and there are likely to be other major
> problems.
> Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
WMSDE should not be used for other means then the ones it has been released
for, so just install another instance of MSDE for your AV...
you'll have no "ports clashing" or conflicts, as SQL Server 2000 allows up
to 16 instances to be locally installed...
only one of them can be the "default" instance, litening (by default) on
TCP/IP 1433 where all other instances have to be named instances, where
their full name is composed by the ComputerName\InstanceName...
you can leave for all of them the default "dynamically assigned port"
setting, an additional service, the SQL Server Resolution Service is then
listening on UDP 1434 to resolve and address the correct named instance on
it's appropriate port..
if you manually set the TCP/IP port the named instance(s) will be listen on,
you can close (on your firewall) the UDP 1434 port as it is no longer
needed, but you'll probably need to specify an ALIAS (via Client Network
Utility, cliconfg.exe) on all your remote clients..
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.15.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.60.0
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply
|||Thank you very much for your reply Andrea.
Although I've seen installations with several MSDE instances before I never
thought about how they worked untill now, therefore I've never even realised
there is a manager service to resolve the ports for each service!
Thank you for enlightening to this!
"Andrea Montanari" wrote:

> hi,
> AC wrote:
> WMSDE should not be used for other means then the ones it has been released
> for, so just install another instance of MSDE for your AV...
> you'll have no "ports clashing" or conflicts, as SQL Server 2000 allows up
> to 16 instances to be locally installed...
> only one of them can be the "default" instance, litening (by default) on
> TCP/IP 1433 where all other instances have to be named instances, where
> their full name is composed by the ComputerName\InstanceName...
> you can leave for all of them the default "dynamically assigned port"
> setting, an additional service, the SQL Server Resolution Service is then
> listening on UDP 1434 to resolve and address the correct named instance on
> it's appropriate port..
> if you manually set the TCP/IP port the named instance(s) will be listen on,
> you can close (on your firewall) the UDP 1434 port as it is no longer
> needed, but you'll probably need to specify an ALIAS (via Client Network
> Utility, cliconfg.exe) on all your remote clients..
> --
> Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
> http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
> DbaMgr2k ver 0.15.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.60.0
> (my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
> interface)
> -- remove DMO to reply
>
>
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment