Wednesday, March 28, 2012

MSDE 2ksp3a TO SQL Server 2000, why is upgrade option disabled?

Hi
I have latest version of MSDE on my win xp machine, I had installed a named version msde using the microsoft bootstrapper along with my application. During installation I had specified the datadir to be something like c:\program files\MyApp\Dat
So far so good
Now I am trying to install SQL Server 2000 dev edition on my computer and was hoping to upgrade this named instance of MSDE, but the upgrade option is disabled. All I can click on is "Create a new instance of SQL Server, or install Client Tools" and "Advanced options". Why is that. What am I missing. I read many times that upgrading named instance shouldn't be a problem
I have to figure this out so that in future my client's can upgrade our MSDE named instance to SQL Server named instance if they need to.
Thank
deYou can't upgrade MSDE to Developer Edition, you can only upgrade to SQL
Server 2000 Enterprise Edition or SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition.
--
HTH
Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)
I support PASS - the definitive, global
community for SQL Server professionals -
http://www.sqlpass.org
"dev" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F366A797-A10F-4EAE-8AD7-1BC89ED470C4@.microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I have latest version of MSDE on my win xp machine, I had installed a
named version msde using the microsoft bootstrapper along with my
application. During installation I had specified the datadir to be
something like c:\program files\MyApp\Data
> So far so good.
> Now I am trying to install SQL Server 2000 dev edition on my computer and
was hoping to upgrade this named instance of MSDE, but the upgrade option is
disabled. All I can click on is "Create a new instance of SQL Server, or
install Client Tools" and "Advanced options". Why is that. What am I
missing. I read many times that upgrading named instance shouldn't be a
problem.
> I have to figure this out so that in future my client's can upgrade our
MSDE named instance to SQL Server named instance if they need to..
> Thanks
> dev
>|||Jasper thanks for the reply. Where can I find the document which states MSDE can be upgraded to which versions.
Does that mean that my client will have to invest in a server (NT 4.0 Server OR NT 4.0 Enterprise Server OR Windows 2000 server OR Windows 2000 Advanced Server..) if they wish to upgrade from MSDE to SQL Server...
thank
dev|||got it, thanks
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823462|||They'll need a server operating system e.g. Windows 2000 Server or Windows
2003 Standard to install SQL2000 Standard
--
HTH
Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)
I support PASS - the definitive, global
community for SQL Server professionals -
http://www.sqlpass.org
"dev" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3F461785-F5A1-491F-9A4E-8ED5462409AE@.microsoft.com...
> Jasper thanks for the reply. Where can I find the document which states
MSDE can be upgraded to which versions.
> Does that mean that my client will have to invest in a server (NT 4.0
Server OR NT 4.0 Enterprise Server OR Windows 2000 server OR Windows 2000
Advanced Server..) if they wish to upgrade from MSDE to SQL Server...
> thanks
> dev

No comments:

Post a Comment