Friday, March 30, 2012

MSDE Access via the Network

I'm having a terrible time accessing an MSDE instance over the network.
sqlDMO's listAvailableSQLServers doesn't see the installed instance. I
installed the MSDE instance using setup.exe with the following command:
setup.exe disablenetworkprotocols=0 sapwd="<pwd>" securityMode=SQL
instanceName="<my instance name>"
No luck. So I thought I'd use the svrnetcn.exe utility to enable network
protocols since MSDE seems to be ignoring the command line. When I try to run
svrnetcn.exe, the screen flickers but the program never opens.
This *was* working several weeks ago. It quit working about the time I
installed Service Pack 2 for Windows XP on the box that was hosting this
server. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening to me? Any help
would be GREATLY appreciated.
Rob Reagan
rob@.digitallabsinc.com
hi Rob,
"Rob Reagan" <RobReagan@.discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:5B63E3CB-8307-49C8-ABC4-56B114893B1D@.microsoft.com...
> I'm having a terrible time accessing an MSDE instance over the network.
> sqlDMO's listAvailableSQLServers doesn't see the installed instance. I
> installed the MSDE instance using setup.exe with the following command:
> setup.exe disablenetworkprotocols=0 sapwd="<pwd>" securityMode=SQL
> instanceName="<my instance name>"
> No luck. So I thought I'd use the svrnetcn.exe utility to enable network
> protocols since MSDE seems to be ignoring the command line. When I try to
run
> svrnetcn.exe, the screen flickers but the program never opens.
> This *was* working several weeks ago. It quit working about the time I
> installed Service Pack 2 for Windows XP on the box that was hosting this
> server. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening to me? Any help
> would be GREATLY appreciated.
> Rob Reagan
> rob@.digitallabsinc.com
>
SP service pack 2 changed a lot of things regarding SQL Server connections
too..
I've not installed sp2 yet, but it's worth reading
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=841249 and related links...
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.9.1 - DbaMgr ver 0.55.1
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply
|||Thank you so much! That's just the information I needed.
SP2 makes my PC so secure, not even my own applications can get through...
"Andrea Montanari" wrote:

> hi Rob,
> "Rob Reagan" <RobReagan@.discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:5B63E3CB-8307-49C8-ABC4-56B114893B1D@.microsoft.com...
> run
> SP service pack 2 changed a lot of things regarding SQL Server connections
> too..
> I've not installed sp2 yet, but it's worth reading
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=841249 and related links...
> --
> Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
> http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
> DbaMgr2k ver 0.9.1 - DbaMgr ver 0.55.1
> (my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
> interface)
> -- remove DMO to reply
>

No comments:

Post a Comment