Friday, March 30, 2012

MSDE and Client Tools from SQLServer Eval

Ok, a while back, probably a year or so I started moving to MSDE. At the time a read posts on the Web that said you could use the client tools from the SQL Server Eval to manage MSDE. Great! I thought.

But more recently I get the impression that using those tools in not allowed. Can someone give me a diffinative answer.

I really want to stick with MSDE and am having a hard time convincing the boss to shell out $9,000+ for SQL Server on my dual processor web server. But I need DTS, Job Scheduling, etc...

Now my boss has wind of MySQL and knows that it's CHEAP.

If I can legally use the client tools with MSDE than I'm fine, if not I dread going to MySQL.

Your Advice is appreciated.Naturally you should check that your use of MSDEis appropriate.

If so do a Google on "Manage MSDE" and you'll get lots of hits. One popular one isthis one.

I think you can use DTS with MSDE but I don't know about scheduling as that is run by the Sql Server Agent which is a separate service. If you have a machine with just MSDE on it (i.e., not Sql Server) then look in the services to see if Sql Server Agent is running. If it's not there you'll have to create your own schedulerwhich isn't that hard.|||How about getting the Developer Edition of SQLServer and using the Client Tools to manage MSDE on the live server.|||If you read theappropriate uses that McMurdoStation posted, you will see what Microsoft has to say about that:

Q. Can I use SQL Server tools and services in conjunction with MSDE?

A. You can only use SQL Server tools and services in conjunction with MSDE if you acquired MSDE through SQL Server 2000 (Developer Edition, Standard Edition, or Enterprise Edition), and if you are using MSDE in conjunction with a properly licensed copy of SQL Server 2000. Visit the How to Buy page for information on obtaining a valid SQL Server license.

The following utilities are installed by the MSDE setup application and are provided without restrictions for use with the copy of MSDE that is installed by your application: bcp.exe, cnfgsvr.exe, dcomscm.exe, osql.exe, sqlmaint.exe, sqlmangr.exe, scm.exe, sqladhlp.exe, and svrnetcn.exe. The dtsrun.exe utility is also provided, but can only be used to run existing Data Transformation Services (DTS) packages against the copy of MSDE installed by your application; it cannot be used to develop new DTS packages.

Terri|||Yes, but it is not clear to me if the Developer Edition (Tools) can be used to manage a production MSDE engine.|||First a disclaimer: I am neither a lawyer or a Microsoft employee. I am only offering my opinion on the interpretation of what often looks to me like gobbledy-gook.

If you purchase SQL Server Developer edition, this comes with MSDE and the client tools. It says that you can use the tools and services with MSDE if you 1) acquired MSDE through SQL Server 2000 Developer edition and 2) you are using MSDE in conjunction with a properly licensed copy of SQL Server 2000.

So, you'd definitely have #1 covered.

However, for #2, theSQL Server 2000 Licensing FAQ says this: The SQL Server Developer edition is licensed per developer and must be used for designing, developing, and testing purposes only.

Putting all of that together, it seems that using the client tools that came with the Developer edition to manage a production database would be against the licensing terms.

Terri|||Maybe I think this because I want to, but it seems that if I buy Developer edition:

1) acquired MSDE through SQL Server 2000 Developer edition

Yep I bought it.

2) using MSDE in conjunction with a properly licensed copy of SQL Server 2000

Yep. I'm using MSDE with a Developer edition on my Dev server. The Dev server is only for designing, developing and testing. That doesn't mean that the MSDE needs to be development only. Does it?

I know I am splitting hairs.

I just called Microsoft and they said it was ok. Great!

I'm soooo glad I don't have to use MySQL

No comments:

Post a Comment