Friday, March 30, 2012

MSDE and Enterprise Manager Trouble

I have installed an MSDE instance on my PC. I have used both the setup.exe program and installed MSDE with the merge modules. Everything works fine - I am able to programmatically connect to the database and execute all of my statements. However, when I t
ry to register the database with Enterprise Manager, Enterprise Manager doesn't see the instance. Similarly, my program that uses SQLDMO.DLL to enumerate all servers does not see the MSDE instance. Both the database, my program, and Enterprise Manager are
running locally on the same machine.
This is a development box, and I have had to uninstall MSDE by hand several times by removing registry keys manually. I suspect that my problem is that I have deleted a key that I needed. Does anyone have any clues? Thanks in advance.
Rob Reagan
MSDE with Sp3a or MSDE Release A installs by default without network
connections enabled and will not advertise itself on the network. You can
still register the instance in Enterprise Manager by typing the name in the
textbox during registration.
You can install MSDE with network connections, see the "Customizing Desktop
Engine Setup.exe" topic in Books Online for details. You can also enable
network connections after installation with (I think) svrnetcn.exe in the
Tools\Bin directory, but I have no MSDe instance to check that at the
moment.
Jacco Schalkwijk
SQL Server MVP
"Rob Reagan" <RobReagan@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:AEC24187-ADA9-48D1-ADC3-837FEE031CEB@.microsoft.com...
> I have installed an MSDE instance on my PC. I have used both the setup.exe
program and installed MSDE with the merge modules. Everything works fine - I
am able to programmatically connect to the database and execute all of my
statements. However, when I try to register the database with Enterprise
Manager, Enterprise Manager doesn't see the instance. Similarly, my program
that uses SQLDMO.DLL to enumerate all servers does not see the MSDE
instance. Both the database, my program, and Enterprise Manager are running
locally on the same machine.
> This is a development box, and I have had to uninstall MSDE by hand
several times by removing registry keys manually. I suspect that my problem
is that I have deleted a key that I needed. Does anyone have any clues?
Thanks in advance.
> Rob Reagan

No comments:

Post a Comment