Friday, March 30, 2012

MSDE and Enterprise Manager?

I am a complete sql newbie! For the life of me I can't figure out how to get Enterprise Manager to connect with MSDE. Something about mixed mode or tcp/ip settings? But no one's ever really clear on how to do these things. I've uninstalled MSDE until I can get more info.

I just need a quick walk-through on how to install msde to work with EM. This is what I used when MSDE requested a strong password:

setup INSTANCENAME="InstanceName" SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD="AStrongSAPwd"

Is this correct? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You access it by address or servername + \ + Instance name:

Server\MSDEInstanceName

|||

What part are you having a problem with?

Tell EM to connect to the server\instancename using sql authentication login sa, password AStrongPWD.

|||If you have the full SQL Server installed then you install the MSDE as a named instance and right click at the top of the Enterprise manager of the full version to register the MSDE and you can manage it directly. If you have the MSDE installed then you install the full version as a named instance and repeat the above. I have registered 68 SQL Server 7/2000 in one XP box so if you have more questions post again. Hope this helps.|||

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I had the eval version of 2000 installed but it's expired. I would now like to use EM with MSDE to connect to the database on my website. I re-installed MSDE but it's only showing the local database.

When I try to register my online domain (ip address) it fails. Says sql may not be running. But it is running. I know it's something basic and silly I'm not doing, but I'm still very new to sql. Is there any other very basic step I may be missing?

Again, thanks for everyone's help...sorry for all the newbie questions.

|||

Which is probably correct because your SQL Server service maybe off, the developer edition is $40 in the link below but you could get it for less because when you are using hosting company you need Enterprise manager. Hope this helps.

http://www.provantage.com/buy-22053391-microsoft-backoffice-sql-server-2000-developer-edition-shopping.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment